Runaway Princesses

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

GLOG: Subclasses Everywhere and 10-Level GLOG


Subclasses in GLOG

I'm slowly chipping away at re-designing classes for Runaway Princesses (my GLOG hack, check it out, if you want). I mentioned this in my post about my Ranger, but I really got an itch to give that class some subclass/archetype (which do you prefer? I'd be keen to know) progression, particularly because the Ranger has so many different interpretations. For similar reasons, when working on the Rogue, it made a lot of sense to have subclasses - so we have Assassin, Thief, Scoundrel, Swallow (honey-pot/good at Game of Thrones), and I'm working on a Void Assassin (basically Dishonored + GLOG).

As usual, everything I say is just my opinion, that opinion is subject to change, and I love people commenting on my opinion.

The more I work on it, the more I was sure (subject to change, possibly tomorrow, cos that's how my mind works) that I wanted more subclasses in my GLOG classes. That being said, not all Classes need them - I don't really see much space for Barbarian subclasses, for example.

Why Subclasses in your GLOG?

  • I like a bit of meaningful choice when advancing my character, which the GLOG lacks, unless you go multi-classing like there's no tomorrow.
  • Subclasses mean it's significantly more interesting to have a party with multiple PCs of the same class. Wizard Schools are essentially subclasses, and everyone loves playing and making Wizard Schools.
  • It allows you to design wacky, and/or smaller ideas, like the Void Assassin, but within a flexible, familiar core. Assassin is probably not enough for a GLOG class, even if it is just 4-templates, but as a subclass to the Rogue, it works much better in my opinion.

Because multi-classing in the GLOG is so easy, it's just as easy to multi-subclass.

All Aboard The #10-LevelGLOG Train

As I began to introduce more subclasses, with the 4-template format, things got pretty busy. I wrote out some possible 10-level advancement formats, and experimented with squashing 5e's 20-level advancement to 10-levels. After a bit of experimenting with writing my Rogue class for 10-levels, I found it to work better when you use subclasses.
And a little thing - I'm happier with multi-classing's interaction with HD gained at level up with 10-level GLOG.

I remembered one of my favourite bloggers wrote this delightful post, brimming with enthusiasm and energy, where she laid out her design goals for a new GLOG hack (or Mimics 2e? idk):

https://crateredland.blogspot.com/2020/04/gloghacks-are-my-comfort-food.html (title is a mood).

If you're interested in 10-Level GLOG, the post outlines some more reasons why it's cool, which I won't bother mentioning here. Also, it has some really cool ideas about how having classes/races/things with a varying number of templates works with the greater level range.

My love for the 4-template (get the cool things ASAP) has not gone away, as Lexi mentions in the post, but I'm going to ride this 10-Level GLOG train, and see where we end up. When I post GLOG classes, I will look to post a 4-template version too, because one of the greatest things about the GLOG community is the compatibility of the cool free stuff people make.

10-Level GLOG Class Advancement Template (WIP)

Level 1: Core Class Feature(s) - For the Barb. this is Rage. For the Rogue, it's Opportunist and Lucky.
Level 2: Core Feature, Choose Subclass/Archetype - Still can't decide on what to call 'em.
Level 3: Core Feature, +1 Subclass Ability - At the moment, subclasses have a small selection (aim for 6) of abilities you can choose or roll from, like spells in a Wizard school.
Level 4: Stat Improvements - Raise attribute scores, skills, whatever - not tied to class necessarily.
Level 5: Core Feature, +1 Subclass Ability - Features can be better versions of previous ones if you're short on ideas, e.g. Lucky becomes Very Lucky.
Level 6: Core Feature, +1 Subclass Ability
Level 7: +1 Subclass Ability
Level 8: Stat Improvements
Level 9: +1 Subclass Ability
Level 10: (EDIT 18/6/20) Domain Play Feature - Thieves Guilds, Wizard Towers, Strongholds... (Thanks for the idea Lexi).

As always, keen to hear people's thoughts! Drop a comment here, or in Discord :)


No comments:

Post a Comment