Runaway Princesses

Monday, July 13, 2020

Where is the heart of the GLOG? (GLOG is a Spanish garden party)

I nearly didn't write a post, because I don't think I've got much to add to the terrific posts that have been coming up in the last week or so. Here's a few, please do link beneath your own if I missed it:




https://whosemeasure.blogspot.com/2020/07/how-i-glog.html

But maybe I can say a few things which people might chime with. This is an unplanned ramble, based off 10 minutes of thoughts in the shower this morning, so this could be messy and worthless, but hey. Also I've yet to submit an entry for one of the GLOG challenges, which I find shameful.


Credit to the emo druid of our campaign, and one of my best friends.



The heart of the GLOG, for me, is found in:
  • The #glog-ghetto channel in the OSR discord.
  • The GLOG resources spreadsheet compiling everyone's fabulous classes and rulesets.
  • My Feedly, which has every GLOG-BLOG I can find on it.
In other words, it's in the community. It's in this little creative anarchist utopia where people are putting up tons of ingenious, wild, fearless stuff that is all game-able and hack-able. All of it is as easy to slot into your home game, as it is to slot into your very own GLOG ruleset - because it's all free, it's all shared around by a community excited and ready to share ideas, and it's all compatible (with minimal tinkering here and there).

If I can indulge my Spanish side, it's like a Spanish garden party, where everyone's invited. Everyone brings frankly staggering amounts of food, and the huge table ends up a vibrant, myriad mix of flavours, tastes and colours. You're expected to fill your plate until you've got croquetas balancing precariously on the edge, trying to find some space - to fill it with a collection of stuff you like that other people have made and brought to the table, and the stuff you like, and brought to the table, because you like it. Everyone is invited. Everyone gives, and takes freely. And everyone ends up with their own plate, which is very much their own, but is also very much the result of a community. Because unlike a simple buffet, everyone's talking about the food they're eating. They're excitedly recommending other people's food, explaining how they made the food they brought, and asking how you made what you brought (in Spain, we really like food). And when someone suggests an idea for a new dish, that's so mad it's brilliant, or just mad, everyone chimes in with ideas of how they could do it, they bring ingredients of their own to help that person achieve it, and more often than not, it ends up a collaboration open to the whole community. 

Honestly, the above happens all the time on the discord. Just the other day, I asked people what their opinions were on Wild Magic tables, and suddenly everyone was riffing on an idea for mutating Mishap tables that change based on events in the fiction.

Join the #glog-ghetto channel on the OSR Discord - it's a lovely place, full of delightful people eager to give feedback, share ideas, and just chat about things we like that could be put in the GLOG (and believe us, we'll try).

Check out the GLOG Resources spreadsheet - in my opinion, it's an essential part of the GLOG in my opinion. That's where you'll find the table I referred to in my laborious, tenuous analogy.

Seek out the GLOG-BLOGS, we are many. Put them in your blog feed reader of choice. Comment on the posts - you don't need to have a detailed breakdown of your feedback, just a little line to say something you liked, or had an idea for how to improve it, builds community. Or don't, that's fine too.

Finally, when you make your own stuff, don't forget to give credit - the very nature of the GLOG is to steal, borrow, and tinker with other people's stuff - and credit for the people who made that stuff is important. But there's also something rather lovely about seeing someone's GLOG hack, and seeing how many different names are mentioned in the credits - each hack is the result of a wider community.




7 comments:

  1. I think this may be my favorite metaphor of GLOG. I don’t even know what a croqueta is but damn it sounds good. Yum, yum, yum. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, the purple links are quality. Purple is favorite color.

      Delete
    2. Love a bit of purple. 5/5 colour, would recommend.

      Delete
    3. Oh mate, croquetas are glorious. Notoriously difficult to make, but the results - oh boy.
      Also glad to hear the metaphor was useful - I really wasn't sure whether I was making much sense as I wrote it haha.

      Delete
  2. A link, as requested: https://whosemeasure.blogspot.com/2020/07/how-i-glog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous, thank you - I'll add it into the main post. Sorry for missing it!

      Delete
  3. I truly like you're composing style, incredible data, thankyou for posting. origami heart

    ReplyDelete